When the weather turns sideways, sometimes the only thing to get you through the day is a comforting, warm, homemade meal. With the gloom hanging over BC today – that’s exactly what we had in mind! So we pondered… what shall we make? Soup? A casserole? Chicken potpie? A grilled vegetable sandwich? Bingo!
After a long hunt for the perfect grilled vegetable sandwich, we came across Foodie Crush‘s Grilled Vegetable Sandwich with Herbed Ricotta recipe and knew we had to replicate. Best of all, the veggies used in this recipe can be found locally and are in season in BC right now.
Grilled Vegetable Sandwich with Herbed Ricotta
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon each of fresh basil, chives and parsley, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 portobello mushroom
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 1 medium yellow squash, sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 medium eggplant, sliced into rounds
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced in half or quarters
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread or other soft bread sliced into 6-inch sections and cut in half
- 1/2 cup arugula leaves
- Balsamic glaze
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, fresh herbs, garlic clove, 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix until smooth. Set aside.
- Oil the grill grates with paper towels lightly coated with grapeseed or canola oil. Preheat the grill on medium high for 10-15 minutes.
- Drizzle the vegetables with extra virgin olive oil and season with dried oregano and kosher salt and pepper.
- Drizzle some additional olive oil on the cut side of the ciabatta.
- Place the vegetables on the grill and cook undisturbed for 5 minutes. Gently flip veggies with a spatula when veggies start to soften and grill marks develop. Cook for another 5 minutes. Toast the cut sides of the ciabatta. Transfer the veggies and ciabatta to a platter.
- Spread the herbed ricotta mixture on the cut sides of the bread slices. Top the bottom bread slices with layers of grilled vegetables and arugula then drizzle with balsamic glaze.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.